Thank you to Jamie at Perpetual Page Turner for hosting this each and every year – I love completing this. I don’t blog as much as I would like, but I do love sharing my wrap up from each year. Enjoy!
Number Of Books You Read: 41
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Young Adult/Fantasy
1. Best Book You Read In 2018?
Fantasy: Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor
Contemporary: Sadie by Courtney Summers
Science Fiction: Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Sawkill Girls – I LOVED the cover but the story just didn’t really do it for me 🙁
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus – everyone kept loving this book on my feed, so I finally picked it up and WOW. I LOVED IT.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Since I sadly have been absent, I don’t see the impact I made, but I really push everyone to pick up Ava Jae’s Beyond the Red Series – it is a great gay space story!
5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?
Start: Heart of Iron
Sequel: Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake
Ender: Muse of Nightmares
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
Karen McManus – I’m excited for her new book in 2019.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Not Even Bones by Rebecca Schaeffer was so far off my radar, but I really couldn’t put it down. It was really about gleeful mutilation, murder, and cannibalism, but I couldn’t put it down, and I can’t wait for the next book.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Ash Princess by Lauren Sebastian was addictive. That book might look like the typical, run-of-the-mill YA fantasy, but it tackled some very uncomfortable and abrasive social issues.
9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Muse of Nightmares
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Jax from Heart of Iron!!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
Muse of Nightmares – Laini is always going to win here
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?
Sadie – I can’t get over than ending
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?
Even though it was a year old, I am sad that I waited a year to read Forest of a Thousand Lanterns.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
“Wishes don’t just come true. They’re only the target you paint around what you want. You still have to hit the bullseye yourself.”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?
Shortest: 236 pages – We Are Okay by Nina LaCour
Longest: 552 pages – Renegades by Marissa Meyer
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Ash Princess – OMG I HAVE TO READ THE NEXT BOOK NOW
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Robb and Jax – my heart <3 (Heart of Iron)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Kora and Nova. I would cross time and worlds if something happened to my sister. (Muse of Nightmares)
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Ok, I’m going to forego Muse of Nightmares here (because I think we all get the point) and go with Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik. This book got so little love and I adored this spin on Rumpelstiltskin. It also was a great representation of Jewish culture as well and I loved the Elven culture.
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:
One of Us is Lying
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?
Ilya Sanguinati – I love the vampires from the Other Series.
23. Best 2018 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I am going to go with Batman: Nightwalker here – Marie Lu did the Batman universe justice in her book, and I loved it.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
My most fun read was Lake Silence by Anne Bishop. It was so eay to ease back into the world of The Others, and even though the human MC wasn’t nearly as fun as the other cast, seeing a new group from this world was wonderful and comforting.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?
Sadie – it was heartbreaking.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
The Queen’s Rising by Rebecca Ross was a really quiet release. It was a really cute, good, fun read, too.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Empress of all Seasons by Emiko Jean- HOW COULD YOU, TARO. HOW.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?
Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant. Her worldbuilding is intriguing.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage was really rage inducing. I have a lot of conflicting feelings about that book, but there were times when I was so angry at every person in that book that I had to stop reading or I was going to scream.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2018 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2019?
Becoming by Michelle Obama
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2019 (non-debut)?
King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo- I’m not even sorry
3. 2019 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2019?
The last book in the Three Dark Crowns series
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2019?
I hope to read more than just new releases, like I did last year.