We all have those characters we keep thinking about way after the turn of the last page. Maybe we don’t quite want a sequel, but we do wish we could know what happens for them next. Do they hold onto their happily ever after? Do they go on to fulfill all the dreams they held dear during the book? Do they make it through? Pixie and I are going to share the top ten characters we’d like to check in on.
- Liesel from The Book Thief. Liesel has been a special character for me and I know she went through so much. Did she do okay after as she continued to grow up? I would love to know. And Max. I just want to know some years for after all the trauma she went through and know that she’s alright.
- Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I’ve been curious about Charlie for some time. Mostly because of how this book ended. There was a lot of emotion at the end, revelations, and goodbyes. I want to know if Charlie made it out of his teenage years okay and how his own graduation went. Did he become the writer that he wanted to be? So many questions!
- Lena and Hana from The Delirium Trilogy. I loved loved loved this trilogy. But I HATED the end because it felt so open. I chose both Lena and Hana because I’ve been questioning and curious since reading about them. Did they get in touch again? What happened to Hana?
- Wolf from The Ashes Trilogy. Wolf was different. He stuck out. Then just walked off without another update and the series ended. That made me so sad. I want to know how things turned out (in this crazy world) for him. Did he cure? He was not like others so I really wanted to know his whole story.
- Katniss from The Hunger Games. We know how it ends (most of us), but now that it’s been some time I’d really like to know more. How did Katniss take to the post-stress of everything? How much changed? Does she still see her old allies and friends? I don’t really care to know about kids or that sort of thing. I just want to know if she’s okay.
- Hermione from Harry Potter. I know that technically we know what happens to Hermione after the end of Deathly Hallows but there is a 20 year gap between the last page of the story and the first page of the epilogue. I am much less interested in her children’s names and hair colors than I am with what Hermione might have done with her education after Hogwarts, what she might have done career-wise. Give me the real Hermione. The growing Hermione, dealing with post traumatic stress disorder after the Battle at Hogwarts.
- Taylor and Jonah from Jellicoe Road. Just let me know that they stay together forever and have more road trips and “Not driving anymore” moments and fdgjfjghdf *sob sob*
- Georgia from The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson. I want to see college Georgia. I want to see Georgia get hit all the marks on the Snogging Scale. I want to see more genuine Georgia and Dave the Laugh moments. I want to see Georgia mature a little bit. I want to see what she does with the rest of her life.
- Sybella from His Fair Assassin. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t pick this one just for more moments between Beast and Sybella (are you seeing at theme here?) But also I really just want to make sure that Sybella is okay. I know she went through a lot of healing in Dark Triumph but honestly, the amount of pain she goes through doesn’t just go away forever. I have a lot of feelings about Sybella and I want to be sure she makes it.
- Noah from I’ll Give You the Sun. Similar to Sybella above, I really just want to check in on Noah to make sure he’s still okay. His family has been through hell, and he was wronged by someone important in his life. A lot of forgiveness happens throughout the course of I’ll Give You the Sun but people can relapse, they can have bad days, old pain resurfaces. I want to wrap him up in a blanket, give him a hug and a cup of hot cocoa and make sure he’s doing fine.